Skip to main content

My Daddy and I!πŸ‘¨‍πŸ‘§πŸ’•πŸ₯‚

It's Father's day today!... there have been talks on how Fathers' are not celebrated as much. The jealousy could be perceived from a thousand miles away!. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I also realized I have a post for Mothers' on Mother's day but none for Fathers'. So, I have decided to change that narrative. 

Everyone who knows me personally can tell I am closer to my mum. Lol... but what they don't know is, my Dad was my first best friend and I was his person 🀭 As a matter of fact, I used to see my mum as TOO strict especially when she was helping with my assignments😏 or asking me to stay indoor instead of going outside to play with my friends😭 It wasn't funny because I was the only child at the time before my sister decided it was time to show-up😏

My dad's return from work always felt like an 'escape' for me. The excitement I'd get when I hear his footsteps was like magic... you could literally see my face light up, the way I would jump at him and how I'd start downloading all that happened that day. My gist was never without a gain... it came with a few naira note and/or Ribena, CapriSonne, Maltina or Yoghurt☺ I think my mum was jealous at some point but durrrhh, I couldn't be bothered...πŸ₯³

I remember there was this red basketball jersey (two-piece) he bought for me. I was always so excited to change into it when I got back from school. I wore that Jersey for yearssss. ☺

It also helped that I was doing well in school. Once my result was out, I was always sure of premium pampering.

There was this song he self-composed and would make me dance to. That song used to get me pumped until it didn't!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ 

My dad has in a way influenced my choice of music too because of what I grew up listening to. My kind of music would be one that's not rushed, passes the right message, has a good beat and pleasing to the ears. 

As a child, I knew for sure Thursday evenings after watching the news, the radio was tuned to Cool FM for some chilled RnB music☺ For Fridays, I can't remember the particular radio station we vibed to but it was some good Hip-hop music πŸ˜€ Saturdays, I was sure we would listen to either "Chief Commander" Ebenezer Obey, Sir. Shina Peters, Onyeka Onwenu, Bob Marley, Majek Fashek and of course or Fela Kuti!. 

However, the most played was 'Chief Commander'. The ironic thing is, he doesn't understand Yoruba that much (Honestly, if I was to rate him, he would still be in the beginners stage) but the way he loved Chief Ebenezer Obey. Lol

By the way, to know how much my dad loved and still loves his Saturday jam, if he misses it for any reason on Saturday, definitely Sunday would never pass us by.

Sunday before church, we do it the gospel way. There was this cassette he had, it was an Igbo gospel music. I never understood what the woman was saying but I dey sing am like that. My favourite used to be a disc that contained a mix of foreign gospel artistes... my sing-along game used to be topnotch (or so I thought 🀭) especially when the song, He lives in me🎼 was playing.

Sunday afternoon was and still is, Ray power FM... there's this program where they communicate in my local language.

Till date, his Radio remains his favourite item. 

Oh... yes! I remember Dolly Parton (coat of many colours and Jolene are the two tracks I vividly remember from my dad's music collection). 

My dad enjoys seeing us (my sister and I) read. Good thing, I was able to hack this code much earlier in life. The best time I could ever ask him for anything and he would oblige without batting an eye would be when I'm with a book or he has seen me reading for days. That used to be my way of asking for 'extra' money from him. I taught my sister this and she's doing well with this information. Lol.

I remember how I never had to be sent back from school for non-payment of school fees in my senior secondary school days. My fees were paid before resumption and all I needed to do was show the bank teller I got from my dad to the school bursar who was usually stationed at the gate. To think, we never had it rosy then but I never lacked.

My dad was always in charge of Christmas shopping for my sister and I. We knew it was time for Christmas shopping when he (my dad) uses a broomstick to measure our legs!πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I had a great childhood because of him. I probably didn't have the best but my dad gave me his BEST and for this, I am truly and eternally grateful. 

My Dad is not perfect, and truly, no one is. We are all flawed and in another's story, we remain the villain... Knowing this fact has been a coping mechanism in understanding and managing people.

Though, we don't agree on certain things but I am happy I still get to do life with him and with each day, my subconscious registers a memory of him. 

To every father out there... we raise a glass in celebration of Father's day to you and we say, Thank you for being our first call of defense! We love you!!!πŸ€—πŸ’•❤

Happy Fathers' Day!πŸ₯‚πŸ‘¨‍πŸ‘§‍πŸ‘§πŸ‘¨‍πŸ‘©‍πŸ‘§‍πŸ‘¦πŸ‘¨‍πŸ‘©‍πŸ‘§‍πŸ‘§πŸ‘¨‍πŸ‘¦‍πŸ‘¦πŸ‘¨‍πŸ‘©‍πŸ‘§πŸ‘¨‍πŸ‘§πŸ‘¨‍πŸ‘§‍πŸ‘¦❤πŸ₯³

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Education has no TRIBE

Hey beautiful people, trust you are doing well. I am good too. Last week was quite a busy one for me. Was literally up and about. One has to match the dots, you know? Sometime last week in my usual busy schedule, I took a bike from a certain location to the house. Okay, I have a subconscious habit to sometimes engage the driver of any cab I am in with a little conversation. It could be as little as “how has been your day?” “hope work is  going well?” and I find out that often times, they really want to pour out certain issues. I think it somehow eases the day’s tension. I don’t have this  same energy for bike riders * frowns * Yup! I have a bittersweet relationship with bikes. I love bikes and I hate it at the same time. Maybe, that’s why I don’t give that much attention to its riders. It’s more of  “please FOCUS and take me to my destination. I beg!” relationship. I’ve had my own fair share of their mishap and I dread situations that will seem to result to a repeat. Photo:

YOU are welcome and I love YOU!

Hey fam! I have been wanting to do this for the longest. But procrastination had the best of me, I must confess. Asides this, the FEAR!!! the commitment! **ppffttt*... not necessarily because I am scared of commitment(s) but I feared that with the loads of "to-dos" I had and have set to achieve, romancing the thought of actually starting a blog instead of scribbling words in my journal may be quite cruel to my priority list. Well, safe to say, I may have overcome that fear after coming to the realization that whether we want it or not, there would always be something to be committed to. I mean, life will always happen!. So, this is my first blog post and am I excited to jump on this train? Yasss! Am I excited to having you read this? A super-duper-dapper-bubbly Yassss!   For those of you who do not know me, the name is Catherine (sometimes known as Cathy). a project administrator in one of the fastest growing architectural companies in Nigeria (you can holla me f

HE blamed ME

Photo credit:  Google image It is the wish of most young ladies to meet the man who will effortlessly sweep them off their feet. The man, who does the right thing, says the right thing all at the right time. The man we can boldly call "The true love of my life", "My knight in shining armour", and all those sweet and mushy names that are dear and special to us. Did you just fantasize about it? Of course, you did. Lol. That was my case when I met Andrew.  Andrew was a perfect gentleman although he had few flaws but he could do no wrong in my eyes. He always had the right words to say and I loved it! It was even more beautiful whenever he tells me sweet nothings. Believe me when I say I was swayed and my heart only beat for him... there were other suitors but Andy (as I call him) was second to none. It wasn't a surprise when I started dreaming of a beautiful wedding with Andy. What fantastic memory and what beautiful life we will have with our